Monday, December 21, 2009

What prompted "A wave from San Cugat"

Sent 11/23/09

Dear Robert
Ever since the Raft Island OCG II course I have been debating with myself if is it necessary to reach out to you about my observations and experiences, and I concluded, yes it is. I asked _ _ for your e-mail address (he sends his best wishes, by the way). I apologize in advance if this was not a proper thing to do.
I agree with your diary post from Friday, 30th October 2009,
“One of the Outer Circle, waiting in The Basement of Fremont Abbey while the Inner Circle were playing encores upstairs, was hoping to be called out & up to join them, and was disappointed they were not.”
My sense is this does not completely convey my disappointment with the course.
I feel that this course, while billed as preparation for the Completion course in March 2010, became something else. From my perspective, it became a vehicle to present and promote Tuning The Air, to put them on the map, so to speak. This is a noble endeavor, one that I support. But I felt a sense of ‘bait and switch’ as the course progressed. I strongly believe that if this was the intention, from the outset, it should have been stated clearly, in advance.
I also felt at the performance at Freemont Abbey, that the OCG was a toy, a gimmick, even a joke, and the real work presented, and the real ‘music’ was solely Tuning The Air. The fact that the OCG was not acknowledged after TTA’s encore, called up and out of the Basement in recognition of our joint work, the work of this course, reinforced the notion of separation between TTA and the OCG. This was indeed a disappointment to me, and, as I see it, a missed opportunity for the course.
This sense of separation was pervasive on this course, for me. I felt that the “Gnarlies” were perceived as less than, unaware and unawake, a nuisance, and most strongly, not good enough, by many, especially the TTA team. Personally, this sense that there is, in GC, a cult of personality, of chosen or anointed ones, and tolerant condescension for the rest, has kept me away from GC courses for the past 4 years.
Yet, there were many moments of beauty and ‘music’ in our House of Guitars, one being the duet I performed on Monday night, an experience I’ll treasure for the rest of my life. Where did that come from? I’ll be pondering this question for a long time. I paraphrase something you said, I believe, regarding this course: Music so wants to be heard that it calls upon the most unlikely characters to bring it to life.
I hope that my comments do not come off as the inappropriate rambling of a petulant, immature child. There are enough Lemmings in this world.
I am a GC lifer, and it inexpressible how grateful I am to be a Crafty and to have GC in my life for the past 10 years.
Sincerely, with best wishes,
A.


Robert's reply, sent 12/09/09

Dear Crafty,

A wave from Sant Cugat!

Each course is unique, each course is a multiplicity of courses. So, whatever the course was for you, is as valid as "my course". My own approach is to arrive, with an aim or two or three, and see what is possible. Then the course takes on a life & lives of its own, and I respond as I am able. What happens is pretty much outside my capacity to control.

The centre of gravity of my own work is increasingly towards supporting those who have a measure of competence. The standard of the Beginners here at Sant Cugat is so low that I am despairing of how to be useful.

One of the strengths of The OCG is that, whatever level of competence on the instrument & quality of personal presence we are able to bring, we have opportunities to contribute & participate & shape what is taking place, to our own degree.

Taking this into a public arena is risky. Long experience suggests that members of the public have limited degrees of patience, attention & support available, for ventures that fall upon their ears from outside the mainstream. So, it is useful during the unfolding event to have available something which can invite back wandering ears. At Sant Cugat for The OCG I last February 27th. we had ZUM. For The OCG II we had the TTA team comprising the inner circle.

You feel that the performance at Freemont Abbey, that the OCG was a toy, a gimmick, even a joke, and the real work presented, and the real ‘music’ was solely Tuning The Air. This is not my view, even a little. From your perspective it became a vehicle to present and promote Tuning The Air, to put them on the map, so to speak. This is not my view either.

One of my declared aims was to support the work of the Seattle Circle; and I feel the performance did that. But that wasn’t the extent of the course, nor the only focus of my interest.

I felt that the “Gnarlies” were perceived as less than, unaware and unawake, a nuisance, and most strongly, not good enough, by many, especially the TTA team. Personally, this sense that there is, in GC, a cult of personality, of chosen or anointed ones, and tolerant condescension for the rest…

Clearly I don’t speak for others, including the TTA team. For myself, I don’t have much resonance with these views, while agreeing that cluelessness & dopiness is as part of Guitar Craft as anything else in the world.

My own primary difficulty stems from not knowing how to help members of the Team where there is little basic competence in, for example, counting & circulating. Even after more than 24 years, a familiarity with C major into 3 octaves in the first five positions continues to be an exception rather than a basic skill. Similarly, counting in 5 or 7 while circulating in time is not complex, yet remains an exotic accomplishment for many. What to do with this? Well, very soon, this will no longer be my responsibility!

… there were many moments of beauty and ‘music’ in our House of Guitars… and many wonderful moments too over the whole period, in addition to the disappointments, opportunities missed & mistakes that were not-quite-the-teachers they might have been.

And now a time is coming to an end.

Thank you for coming to Raft Island: I was happy to see you there, not quite knowing if we would meet again.


6 Comments:

Blogger elisap said...

I also agree that this was somewhat of a missed opportunity. If there needed to be "something which can invite back wandering ears", then why not some of the simpler pieces of repertoire which everyone can easily find a place in (and many already know) such as All or Nothing or Aspiration?

It also seemed to me as a listener that something more melodic or easily approachable could have been worked into the orchestra's approach - there were pieces back in June that had that quality (to me), and also some in the orchestra rehearsals.

10:27 PM  
Blogger David said...

Political ends as sad remains shall die.

While I was not on the course, from the outside (based on reports) it seems that the TTA team was by far the largest performance team within the entire course that brought in (of course) motives and attitudes ulterior to the course, and has significant historical baggage. This would tend to impact the direction of the course in a way that is beyond the control of a single director, just by the sheer momentum and inertia behind it.

"This sense of separation was pervasive on this course, for me. I felt that the “Gnarlies” were perceived as less than, unaware and unawake, a nuisance, and most strongly, not good enough, by many, especially the TTA team. Personally, this sense that there is, in GC, a cult of personality, of chosen or anointed ones, and tolerant condescension for the rest, has kept me away from GC courses for the past 4 years."

In response to this, on the one hand I would say to be careful to be responsible for one's feelings: feelings are not the truth, but they are real. If I perceive haughty behavior in another, then I check first as to the reliability of my perceptions (F.M. Alexander's 'faulty sensory perception' comes to mind here). And, am I being too sensitive, based on flotsam and jetsam floating up from my formatory apparatus?

On the other hand, that doesn't mean that members of the TTA team are immune to the onset of "believing in the morality of the group". Polar thinking ("I am in this group and you are not, therefore you are alien and less") is difficult to overcome and there is a pervasive condoning and reward system to keep polar thinking in place, in our sociopsychological training from when we are born. TTA members have highly developed specialized skills; it is a major human error and sin (found throughout academe, believe me) to believe that this superiority in skill is a possession and endows one with some type of superiority in other areas (typically morality); this belief can be held very subtly and lightly, and is intransigent due to the force of denial. In this case, highly developed skill is an obstacle to freedom rather than an obligation of freedom. When confronted with this air of superiority or condescension, I find (at first, pray to find) compassion, even pity, for the sufferer. For, what is within my control? May I have the serenity to accept the answer and the wisdom to recognize it.

1:13 PM  
Blogger eclectic guy said...

"Personally, this sense that there is, in GC, a cult of personality, of chosen or anointed ones, and tolerant condescension for the rest, has kept me away from GC courses for the past 4 years."

I was not at this session, but attended another and found your comments to resonate with my experience. RF is not responsible for the snarkiness of his inner circle, but there is an air about some of them of acting like an exclusive club and we lowly participants were treated with condescension. Was this to toughen us up? Maybe, but I wonder if this is a bit harmful to the learning process.

The silence that visited us sometimes seemed to me to be born more of intimidation than of any spiritual genesis. It's Robert they try to please and that's what he requiered and thus it was so. It was uncomfortable and even the smallest of socializing was done like we were in a library.

You are not alone in your opinion, my friend.

1:37 AM  
Blogger elisap said...

"highly developed skill is an obstacle to freedom rather than an obligation of freedom"

Back in 2002-2003 Seattle Circle had a Roving Circle that went to local nursing homes and retirement homes. This was shut down due to "lack of quality", and not long after redirected into higher-level performance at more traditional venues. This meant both that weaker members were dropped or dropped themselves from the team, and that what seemed to me a very important focus went away - we had been doing something from kindness and generosity, not just desire to perform our music, get local attention, challenge ourselves, etc. There may have been good reasons to let it go for a while, but it never came back again, and this says something about the focus of the group.

11:58 PM  
Blogger David said...

In response to eclectic guy's comment "The silence that visited us sometimes seemed to me to be born more of intimidation than of any spiritual genesis ... even the smallest of socializing was done like we were in a library." In my experience, my experience of silence was internal and the visit of an actual being. I never felt intimidated to be silent or quiet, other than avoiding useless racket. For me, the silence is an opportunity to open one's listening and to notice the finer points in the aural field of perception, as well as an opportunity to cross over into the spiritual field that always lies so close by. A reflection cannot be seen in a highly disturbed pond surface; in the same way, silence is a means to reflect upon who we are and where we come from. I think Alan would agree with that, too (perhaps I am wrong, correct me if so Alan).

My impression from Alan's letter is that there appear to be Crafties of long-standing experience who harbor (though they think it a secret) a suspicion that they are better-than or other-than the new persons.

6:37 PM  
Blogger David said...

For Alan (and anyone else who can contribute meaningfully) ,

I was hoping for a more complete picture, by having answers to the following questions, as objective an answer as possible of course.

1. Have you attended a course in the Europe/SA house?

2. If so, did you experience the same sense of "tolerant condescension for the rest" at these courses?

3. If so, was it of the same quality as what you experienced at the US courses?

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home